Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letters

After reading the several pieces of advice on writing an effective cover letter I feel that I have much better direction in how I will write my cover letter. I do agree with what was said about how a cover letter should sell yourself to the company. Personally I believe most companies do read the cover letter first to see if this person is the kind of employee the company would like to have. When presenting your special skills and talents in the 2nd paragraph you are pointing out what about you is going to be most important to the company and the company will gather what kind of work attitude you many have as an employee. When telling them why you are writing being specific and profession seems key. You are letting the company know that they are respected by you and by others. Lastly it seems that after you are done making the company feel important and telling them why you will be such a great asset to their business you must then give them a means of meeting you and following up which is fine. However the way it was put in the example cover letter is almost too pushing like you have already locked the job up and that they should almost save time, skip the meeting, and just call you to tell you where your desk is going to be located. The example cover letter was most helpful it is a good example in that one can see what kind of material needs to be presented but also allows for critique and input of your own expression and attitude. On one final note the hand written postscript is something I would try not really sure if it is my style yet but I am a pretty open guy so Ill try to come up with one and see how I feel about it due to its important personal connection it seems to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment