Sunday, February 15, 2009

Healthy Campus Initiative

Once I first heard about the Health Campus Initiative, I got excited. I think it is a great way to promote healthier lifestyles for my peers and the University of Clemson as a whole.
I think a great way to get this projects wheels rolling is to impliment the student organic garden. Peolpe like knowing where their food comes from, especially when it comes to fruits and vegtables.
If I see an apple in the Cantine I assume that it has probably come from across the state and has been injected with something to stay fresh because the cafeteria manager knows it will sit there for weeks. On the other hand if I knew that apple was from right down the road and was organic I would surely buy it, or most certainly would be more inclined to make the purchase.
The American "Combo" has been reduced to Cheeseburgers and french fries. Well maybe we can change that. How about through the Healthly Campus Initiative we get the local eateries on campus to advertise and create a Healthier Options Combo. Instead of a sandwich and french fries for 6 dollars they could have a turkey wrap and an orange for 5 dollars. Also I think the Organic Garden could open up a little fruit shack on campus, making it more convenient for students to get fruit.
I think they should advertise this on Clemsons channel, channel 99. Everyday my friends and I watch movies on that channel and after a movie there is always room for a three minute excerpt. A perfect way to promote when inquiring cost as a factor.
Also put facts out there in peoples faces, not just on the Toilet Paper article in the bathrooms on campus. Try it right there next to the french fry stand. Have a poster saying something like, "The daily recommended fruit intake is about 6 fruits, and your about to miss out on that delicious grapefruit for some greasey french fries? Hope your beer gut is happy now." I think students would start getting he picture.
For one thing, I think we all know that with trying to stay healthy comes with a load of apathy. It is hard staying fit and eating right. Therefore we should make this type of food as convenient as possible. Like putting a fruit stand in the horse shoe or even having one in the dorm hall lobbies. I think we would all be surprised with the results of something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment