Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Communication Is Key

I have had many jobs but one of the most challenging jobs I have had in my experience was being the social chair for my fraternity. At first I thought it was going to be the easiest job on the planet but after a few weeks I realized how big of a responsibility it actually is. So I am going to talk about one incident where there was some communication errors and how I dealt with them and how I could have dealt with them better.

I had sent out an email at the begining of the week on Monday telling the fraternity that there was nothing going on for the week. Then the next day I sent out an email telling them someone wanted to have people over for a Thursday night football game and that people should go out there. Well people liked the idea and had thier minds set on it. Well after having some pressure put on me through some of the younger guys, who wanted a C race at our house for the game, I sent out another email on Wednesday explaining the desire for one and that there would indeed be a C race on Thursday during the game. Well people did not like this. They were getting confused with what was going on and some people liked the idea and others were yelling at me about it. Well what I did to resolve the siutation was get angry and sent out another email telling people to do whatever they wanted to do but there would be a C race at the house if anyone wanted to come. Needless to say not too many people came and the house only had about twenty people there.

After long thought about how this all became a disaster I realized that it all originated with poor communication at the begining. I should have stuck with my original plan and not had been pressured into doing something I did not think was a good idea in the first place. To further discuss about the situation, to better the errors I had committed by sending the nasty email I could have collected my thoughts and composed a disarming email. Telling people the C race was cancelled and to go to the other original party.

No comments:

Post a Comment